last updated 6/10/03
NEWS & RUMOR CONTROL
Paul Walker, John Singleton, and Tyrese
(photo by Eli Reed)
- June 10, 2003
- June 2, 2003 - The guest list for the premiere has been updated.
- May 31, 2003 - Upcoming television appearances by Tyrese (thanks to his official street team):
- Monday, June 2nd - Today (NBC)
- Monday, June 2nd - Live with Regis & Kelly (syndicated)
- Wednesday, June 4th - Jimmy Kimmel Live (ABC)
- Thursday, June 5th - The Daily Show (Comedy Central)
- Thursday, June 5th - MTV Movie Awards (presenting with Paul Walker)
- Friday, June 6th - The View (ABC)
- May 30, 2003 - Some preliminary news on the DVD: Today, John will be recording a commentary track with editor Bruce Cannon. Tyrese and Paul Walker are also slated to do their own commentary track for the disc.
- May 29, 2003 - A press release has been added, as well as a couple of review links.
- May 28, 2003 - The official press release on next week's premiere has been issued.
- May 27, 2003 - The 2F2F soundtrack is now in stores--but you can save yourself a trip and buy it here.
- May 26, 2003 - John will be in the Bahamas this weekend (May 29-June 1) for the Bahamas World Film Festival 1st Filmmakers Screening and Conference, where he will be hosting a screening of 2F2F. More information can be found at the Bahamas World Film Festival site and One World Film & Television Society.
- May 25, 2003
- May 17, 2003 - I have just received my invitation to the world premiere in the mail. You can view scans of the invite on the newly created premiere page.
- May 16, 2003
- I have seen the film... and John (who attended the screening) requested that I hold the review until closer to the release date. I will say this much: it's fun, and it's sure to make tons of money this summer.
- He and cast members Paul Walker, Tyrese, Eva Mendes, Cole Hauser, and Devon Aoki will be doing television interviews tomorrow and print/online/radio roundtable interviews on Sunday. I will be in attendance for the latter, and full transcripts will be posted here next week.
- The complete, official cast list is now posted.
- I got confirmation from John that it was, indeed, Tyrese who signed the guestbook last weekend. So you don't need to sift through pages there, his entry is reposted below.
Saturday 05/10/2003 10:02:19pm
||Word of Mouth
||CHILLIN WITH JOHN SINGLETON NOW!!
||HEY MAN THIS IS TYRESE NOW THAT BABY BOY IS IN THE CAN AND 2FAST 2FURIOUS IS ABOUT TO MAKE SOME MOVES! I JUST WANNA THANK YOU WITH EVERY PIECE OF MY HEART MAN WHO EVER I'M GOING TO BE IN HOLLYWOOD IS DUE TO YOU BELIEVEING INJ ME ME LOVE YOU MAN LETS KEEP MAKIN HISTORY!!! WATTS IS ON THE MAP!!
OH YEAH AND ALL YOU JOHN SINGLETON FANS
GET READY FOR * BABY BOY 2 * OUT!!!
- May 13, 2003
- On the evening of April 23 I had the pleasure of hanging out with John on the set of the video for Ludacris's "Act a Fool," the first single to be released off of the 2F2F soundtrack album. A REQUEST FOR HELP: if anyone has the recently aired MTV Making the Video episode on the video on tape, please e-mail me.
- 2F2F-related merchandise is available for purchase now through this site:
- The film has been rated PG-13 by the MPAA for "street racing, violence, language and some sensuality"--marking the first time a Singleton film has received a rating other than R.
- The film's press junket takes place this weekend, and I will be seeing the film on Friday, May 16. Expect my full review to be posted during the weekend, and complete transcripts from the roundtables will follow soon after.
- Universal's official site for the film is now mostly complete and open for business.
- I have added a number of poster images and car photos from this March's ShoWest convention, in the newly reorganized photo section.
- There are updates to the Cast & Crew and Press Release pages.
- And finally, a glimpse of what might have been... the original logo for the film's original title.
- February 24, 2003
- Universal has officially changed the film's title from The Fast and the Furious 2 to the once-promotional-only name 2 Fast 2 Furious. The title change was the studio's decision and not John's; in fact, he didn't even learn of the official title change until I asked him about it last week. While he was one of the last informed (and it is pretty sad if I knew before him and was the one to let him know), he is fine with the 2F2F name. I wish I could say the same...
- The official movie site now has the teaser trailer up.
- Access Hollywood aired a story on Paul Walker, shot last year during the film's Miami shoot, on January 29. A transcript and full video clip are available at the Access website.
- January 23, 2003
- The teaser trailer will air on Access Hollywood tonight.
- More footage of the film can be seen in this Mitsubishi convention promo. The F&F2 footage starts at the 15:18 mark. (Thanks to Alex Keen and Deadtime66 for this scoop.)
- December 29, 2002
- A barebones version of the official movie site is now open. Photos and a synopsis are currently available; a teaser trailer is coming soon.
- According to John himself, 2 Fast 2 Furious is not the new title of the film; it is just a promotional title for The Fast and the Furious 2, à la T2 for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
- December 15, 2002
- MTV aired a Movie House report from the set on the Friday, December 13 edition of TRL. More details and a photo gallery can be viewed at MTV.com.
- John is back from Miami and will be finishing up the shoot at Universal Studios Hollywood.
- On a side note, Tyrese's new album, I Wanna Go There, hits stores on Tuesday. Buy it here.
- December 10, 2002 - A lot more updates are coming in the next few days (apologies for falling behind), but here are a couple of tidbits in the meantime:
- Today's (Tuesday, December 10) Los Angeles Times has a big report from the film's set.
- Extra aired their report from the set on Friday, November 29. Unfortunately, there is no video or text available on their website.
- Where is my report from the set, you may ask. John's original plan was to fly me over for a few days to give you the most inside look at the filming. Unfortunately, about a month ago he changed his mind.
- November 6, 2002 - This press release from Motegi Racing and Universal just came in over the wire. I find it hilarious how Eva Mendes is called a "newcomer," however...
- November 4, 2002 - Miami Heat superstar Alonzo Mourning's cameo appearance has been officially confirmed.
- November 1, 2002 - Thanks to Rick dela Vega for some cast list additions, including his cousin Roberto Sanchez, who plays the character of Roberto.
- October 30, 2002
- In the coming weeks, this page will be undergoing a revamp into something that will hopefully be a bit more organized.
- Entertainment Tonight did a story on the filming on the Wednesday, October 29 episode. If anyone happens to have this on videotape, please e-mail me. There is a brief article, including a video clip of Tyrese singing happy birthday to John's daughter Justice, at the ET website.
- Eric Etebari, who plays Scott Dardin in the film, submitted photos of himself and his car on the set to his unofficial fan site.
- Ruff Ryders issued this press release on their newly signed artist Jin joining the cast.
- October 8, 2002 - Universal has announced the official commencement of production with this press release.
- October 7, 2002
- To answer the most frequently asked question the past couple of weeks: yes, Eric Etebari has been cast in the film though I have no information on his exact role as of yet.
- Some car and extra casting calls have come and gone in the past month, and my apologies for not being able to post any information here on them; some people involved in the production haven't been as forthcoming with the information as they had promised they would be...
- Plans are afoot to fine-tune this page into something more organized (and pleasing to the eye); hopefully a revamp will be finished within the month.
- Finally, thanks to Eduardo Roque for submitting this photo of John with the Miami PD Gang Detail, taken during pre-production scouting back in June.
- September 24, 2002 - Filming begins tomorrow.
- September 1, 2002 - About a month late, but here's the press release for The Fast and the Furious toy car line.
- August 31, 2002 - The release date has been set: June 6, 2003.
- August 30, 2002 - Ludacris has joined the cast.
- August 25, 2002 - Cole Hauser, James Remar, and Devon Aoki have joined the cast.
- August 19, 2002 - Principal photography is now scheduled to commence on September 30.
- August 10, 2002
- EXCLUSIVE SCOOP: The mystery of Ja Rule's mysterious dropping out of the project has been solved. Apparently, he didn't want to reprise the role of Edwin; instead, he wanted the role that is to be played by Tyrese. When he couldn't negotiate that, he opted out of the project entirely.
- I obviously jumped the gun a few weeks ago, as Singleton is leaving for Miami today for final preparation and production.
- August 6, 2002 - Eva Mendes has been cast as the main female co-star.
- August 2, 2002
- Ja Rule has dropped out of reprising the role of Edwin.
- Singleton is back in Los Angeles for a couple of weeks.
- July 25, 2002 - Singleton is now stationed in Miami for final preparation and production.
- July 22, 2002
- June 18, 2002 - Singleton leaves for Miami tomorrow for some preliminary location scouting. Principal photography is now set to begin in late September.
- May 27, 2002 - It appears that the news of Singleton's detour into blockbuster sequeldom has been interpreted by some as being a desperate career move. When I showed him the article, Singleton had the following to say: "They are so ignorant. I'm happy they feel that way. They have no idea of the film I'm planning."
- May 23, 2002 - Shooting is scheduled to begin September 9 in Miami.
- May 20, 2002 - Singleton is officially set to direct the sequel to The Fast and the Furious. Tyrese will be joining returning cast member Paul Walker.
- May 16, 2002 - Singleton is in negotiations to direct the sequel to The Fast and the Furious, in which Tyrese is slated to star. Read the story in The Hollywood Reporter.
--written/compiled by Michael Dequina